My prince, Deuce is a month old this week. (More pics here) Life with a newborn, you have small intervals of time to do everyday task. Sometimes, I have to choose whats more important sleep or food. With that said I have had to be very creative in thoroughly cleansing my thick and long natural hair and protective styling in those allotted time intervals.
Here are some methods/techniques used to simplify my natural hair regimen.
1. Back to basics- Like most women, I have a small beauty supply store in my bathroom. I found that product with all-natural ingredients or natural products in general work best for my hair. The right products make managing your hair easy and save time. Some of my favorite products include:
- Shealoe or Whipped Shea Butter
- Spray Bottle Vegetable Glycerin with Water
- Coconut Oil
- SheaMoisture Shampoo & Conditioner
- Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner
2. Shampooing hair in medium sections with diluted shampoo out of an applicator bottle, you will get optimize your cleansing experience. Here’s a great video that demonstrates the technique I use to thoroughly cleanse my hair. “Washing Medium/Long Natural Hair” Click here.
- Tips on washing natural hair such as how often, what products to use etc. Click here
- Non-sulfate shampoo is the first step in moisturizing your natural hair. Read more about Dry Natural Hair
3. Styling in simply styles that stretch and protect my natural hair from root to tip. Twist out or Twist n curl with medium two strand twist. I usually leave my hair in twist unless Im going out. For the most part, my hair is in a twist protective style where I can easily add moisture to both my hair root to tip and scalp. Below are links to my go-to simple styles with videos.
4. Add moisture to your hair daily. This not only helps to maintain the health of your natural hair but also trains your hair to retain moisture and prevents dry scalp.
Dry natural hair is not eliminated by a miracle product.
Deep Conditioning Tricks
5. Cover your hair at night. If my hair is not already in twist, I will add moisture and re-twist in chunky twist; tuck away ends then cover with a satin scarf. This protects and prevent hair from snagging breaking, dry and becoming frizz as well as preserves my style. See example.