1. How long have you been natural? I have been FULLY natural about 3 months i believe
2. Why and how did you go natural? (Did you transition? What products and styles did you use?) I did transition for 13 months. I was natural before for like 4 or 5 yrs but i always kept my hair straight never explored the kinky curls i had. When i moved back to my native country of Panama in 2009 the weather wouldn’t let me keep a style whether curly or straight so i permed. Well…a few months after that i decided to go back natural no matter what the cost. I hated looking like everyone else plus my nape was breaking badly.
3. Did you transition long term or do the big chop? Why? I transitioned about 13 months then one day after washing my hair i just couldn’t take on the task of blending the two textures so i chopped those scraggly ends off chile lol.
4. Tell us about your hair regimen. What products and techniques do you use? How do you keep your hair moisturized? I do a few things but my regimen changes with the weather, at this present moment I do a henna gloss once a month, bentonite clay mask once-twice a month,wash once a week,moisturize every 2 days or so with shea moisture & seal w/oil,deep condition weekly. I have a blog: theMANEtopic.com where i post my regimen as it changes.
5. How would you describe this experience? Liberating*screaming*! I’ve never loved my hair as much as i do now 🙂
6. What was others response to your naturality? “WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CUT ALL THAT PRETTY HAIR?! ARE YOU DEPRESSED?!! LOL”. I can say my mom was probably the MOST supportive ♥te quiero mucho mami!♥
7. Who was your biggest influence/support? How did they provide support during your natural hair transition? My friend Kelly has the prettiest curls and i would always envy her curls. One day she told me to just do it or else i would be “wishing” for curly hair for the rest of my life. I didn’t chop immediately but eventually i did.
8. What have you learned since being natural (about yourself, your hair and other people)? I’ve learned to accept what i am no matter what anyone else thinks/thought as long as i am happy that’s all that matters. Thing is i get waaaay more compliments on my natural hair,people love it. Going natural has also had me take a second look at how i’m eating and living and at the current moment i’m on a diet and exercising regularly 🙂
9. What advice would you give to those transitioning or concerning natural? If you are thinking about it…STOP THINKING …just do it i promise you will be glad you did. Most of us have never known what our REAL hair looks like and the beauty of our hair is amazing! If you are transitioning DON’T GIVE UP! I know it gets tough but think of the prize you get at then end of that transition….BEAUTIFUL KINKY CURLS.
Thanks for featuring me!
My Blog: theMANEtopic.com
My Youtube: www.youtube.com/theMANEtopic
Twitter: www.twitter.com/theMANEtopic (just started this account)